If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in an accident and wish to seek the advice of a personal injury lawyer, there are a few steps you should follow. Receiving referrals from people you trust and interviewing multiple attorneys, can help you make an informed decision.
An experienced lawyer can be the difference between success and failure. Sitting down with several personal injury attorneys before reaching a final decision, can help you make an educated choice. If you are unsure on how to find an experienced lawyer, there are a few avenues you can take.
- Asking friends and family about personal injury lawyers they have used in the past is a great way to start your search. Keep in mind, making a decision solely on another person's experience is not recommended. While your friends may have found a lawyers style and attitude beneficial, you may not have the same reaction. If a lawyer does get positive reviews from someone you trust, add them to a list of lawyers you plan on contacting to discuss your case.
- If you know a lawyer, ask for a referral to a personal injury attorney. Hiring said lawyer based only on the referral is not in you best interest. Like the other recommendations you received, place the name on a list and make your final choice once you have spoken to all potential attorneys.
Sitting down with a lawyer is the only way for you to determine whether they are the best option for you and your claim. Remember to bring copies of all necessary documents, so you and the lawyer can properly discuss possible ways of approaching the case. The majority of personal injury attorneys do not charge for an initial interview, but be sure to check if a payment is expected before you go to their office. While a lawyer is asking you questions, don't be hesitant to seek a few answers of your own.
- Start off by getting a brief rundown of the lawyer's history. It is crucial for you to find out how long and how often they have dealt with personal injury claims.
- Ask whether the lawyer you are meeting with is the same person that will handle your case. If the answer is no, determine if the claim is going to be handed to a less experienced attorney. While multiple lawyers with different levels of experience are most likely going to work on your case, it is good to know this information in advance.
- Once the lawyer has all the necessary information about your claim, ask if they can give you a general idea of how much your claim is worth and whether or not your expectations are realistic.
Settling for a lawyer you do not have confidence in, can only harm your chances of successfully winning your claim. Once you find a lawyer who's understanding of your case leaves you satisfied the next step is hiring them. Be sure to work out a fee agreement before any actions are taken.
If you are in need of a personal injury lawyer, please contact us, and we will be glad to answer all your questions.